Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Log="Service"

The "SERVICE" log displays such fidelity! It provides heat to simmer the "turkey soup"; warmth for the chilly evening; dancing flames & firey embers; crackling sounds which speak to me of Peace (some day); Joy, as we gathered to enjoy a delicious turkey dinner; Love for family; friends and neighbors.

All across this beautiful country so many people gave of themselves in "service" to others this Thanksgiving holiday. For the less fortunate, meals were prepared; served, delivered and enjoyed!

But for some the holidays always bring a bit of sorrow with it! They do for me; I can't help but remember the Thanksgivings spent with mom & dad (of happy memory); and I cry when I remember my youngest son Abby (age 24) RIP!

Having lost him to an unprovoked act of violence (murder) my heart aches each holiday; missing him; wondering how he would look these 14 years later. Families across this country are grieving as well and I offer the "service" of my prayers & thoughts for them. I'm thankful for my six living children who draw close during these precious holidays; if not physically here with me; they always send messages of love.

Thanks from the bottom of my broken heart to all who "serve" others in whatever way. especially those who give their lives for our safety; armed servicemen; firefighters; police officers; religious & spiritual leaders and all those kind people who give of themselves; all those unsung heroes/heroines! Whomever & wherever you are; "THANK YOU!"

A special thanks as well from my healed heart which has healed from joining with all those who suffer; I'm thankful I'm not alone in my sorrow; and I'm especially thankful that God gave me the grace & the courage to write & forgive the young man ( in prison) who took my son's life.

As I close with the "SERVICE" log being placed on the fire in the stove; I'm sending Thanksgiving vapors of gratitude; and hope I continue to remember to say "Thanks" as I gaze at the smoke that rises over Blue Mountain Lake!!

1 comment:

  1. We really have so much to be thankful for! Thanksgiving should be more than just one day. Great post please keep them coming:-)

    ReplyDelete